Summer Youth Employment Program
Lifespan's Summer Youth Employment (SYE) Program is designed to promote career exploration, professionalism, and essential skills development for young people. The program offers an eight-week paid summer employment experience at a Lifespan hospital or Lifespan Corporate Services to teens 16 to 19 years old.
Teens are placed in a wide variety of departments throughout Lifespan, including:
- Physical Therapy
- Central Processing
- Human Resources
- Food and Nutrition
- Respiratory Care
- Child Psychology
- Community Health
- Information Systems (IT)
The Lifespan Summer Youth Employment program is providing opportunities to at-risk youth in our community and benefiting Lifespan's workforce.
The application deadline for the 2023 Summer Youth session is Monday, January 9, 2023, at 11:59 p.m.
Upon graduation in August, our summer employees take with them a wealth of personal and professional experience, with some youth even gaining permanent employment. Lifespan also stays in contact with the teens beyond the summer to continue career counseling and support.
More About the Summer Youth Employment Program Program
The Summer Youth Employment Program offers youth an opportunity to:
- Join Lifespan, Rhode Island's largest private employer.
- Have a 40 hours/week paid job for seven to eight weeks from June to August.
- Explore exciting career options in healthcare.
- Join a team of more than 80 other Lifespan youth employees.
- Make friends and network to prepare for a successful future.
- Get career building help from professional career experts.
- Possibly gain employment beyond the summer.
Job responsibilities will differ based on the Lifespan department where the youth is placed.
Program Completion Requirements
Students should note that:
- Attendance is mandatory. Any missed time will need to be made up before certificate is awarded.
- A certificate will be awarded to those candidates who have successfully completed the program.
To be eligible, candidates must:
- Attend two pre-summer trainings.
- Be 16 to 19 years old (must be age 16 before April of the year in which summer employment will take place.)
- Be a resident of Providence or possess a valid CNA license.
- Have a willingness to learn.
- Have interest in pursuing a career in healthcare.
- Our Mission
- Lifespan Board of Directors
- Lifespan Executive Leadership
- Lifespan Careers
- Lifespan Newsroom
- Lifespan Reports
- Lifespan Facts & Statistics
- Groundbreaking Research
- Lifespan and The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
- Lifespan Community Affairs
- Giving at Lifespan
- Lifespan Purchasing
- Patient Privacy
- Lifespan Health Alliance ACO