Future Gen Cancer Scholars Program
Prepare for a Career in Cancer Research
Thanks to a generous $10 million grant from the Papitto Opportunity Connection, the Lifespan Cancer Institute has established the Future Gen Cancer Scholars program. A first-of-its-kind mentoring program, the Future Gen Cancer Scholars program is for public high school students of color from Central Falls, Pawtucket, and Providence.
Become part of the Future Gen Cancer Scholars program and impact your education, and community. Accepted students will be notified in early April 2023. Program starts July 2023.
Train with Cancer Experts
The Future Gen Cancer Scholars program brings together researchers at Lifespan, The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University, and students. Its high technology research and innovative education will help Rhode Island, a state with strong Black and Hispanic populations, address the lack of physicians of color. Experts often point to this shortage as a leading cause of the underuse of cancer screening and general mistrust of the medical system by communities of color.
More about This Program
The Future Gen Cancer Scholars program offers students an opportunity to:
- Participate in a six-week program across two successive summers, shadowing some of the nation’s top cancer doctors and scientists at Rhode Island and its Hasbro Children's hospitals and The Miriam Hospital.
- Have access to state-of-the-art laboratories at the Lifespan Cancer Institute and the Cancer Center at Brown University, where cancer research space will become a classroom.
- Receive a stipend of $2,500 per summer, and transportation expenses will be reimbursed.
- Receive college preparation counseling from mentors. There will be a connection between the Rhode Island First Generation College Students administrator and school guidance counselors for support with the college application and admissions process.
Who is Eligible?
The Future Gen Cancer Scholars program will enroll up to 20 students of color annually who are nominated by their high schools and selected through an application process.
How to Apply
Information about the application process and program requirements can be found on futuregenri.org.
- Our Mission
- Lifespan Board of Directors
- Lifespan Executive Leadership
- Lifespan Careers
- Lifespan Newsroom
- Lifespan Reports
- Lifespan Facts & Statistics
- Groundbreaking Research
- Lifespan and The Warren Alpert Medical School of Brown University
- Lifespan Community Affairs
- Giving at Lifespan
- Lifespan Purchasing
- Patient Privacy
- Lifespan Health Alliance ACO