General and Gastrointestinal Surgery
General Preoperative Instructions
- Make arrangements to have someone stay with you the first night after surgery. Make sure to shop for food and necessities and have things organized at home prior to surgery.
- Do not eat or drink after midnight prior to the day of your surgery. This includes gum, hard candy and breath mints. However, you should take your medications the morning of surgery with small sips of water You will reduce the risk of serious complications by not eating or drinking prior to surgery.
- Do not take blood thinning medications, such as Coumadin and aspirin products, before surgery. These medications must be stopped prior to surgery under the supervision of you doctor / surgeon. In some cases they must temporarily be replaced with other medications. If this has not been discussed with you in the office please call us as soon as possible.
- Do not take insulin or other anti-diabetic medications if you are a diabetic. We will make every effort to perform your surgery at 8am. Please call the office to confirm this.
- Do not smoke on the day of your surgery. Smoking is irritating to your lungs and can make it harder for you to recover from your operation. Smoking is not permitted in the hospital or on hospital grounds.
- Wear comfortable, loose-fitting clothing to the hospital. If you are not planning on staying overnight, do not bring any other articles of clothing or toiletries. Do not wear makeup or nail polish so your color can be monitored. Please, leave your valuables, such as jewelry and watches and money, at home.
- You may not drive yourself home after surgery. Please arrange for an escort to drive you home. A cab driver is not an appropriate escort. Your surgery will be cancelled if you have not made arrangements for transportation.
- Call the office and confirm the time and date of the surgery. Operating times are often altered after you have been given a time because of urgent cases. Expect delays in the start time of your surgery once your arrive since scheduling of procedures is based on the average time for a procedure. Similarly, do not be surprised by a start time earlier than anticipated. If possible bring something to read and arrive early.