Know About Your Insurance Policy
Is your insurance accepted?
Prior to your hospital visit, you should confirm that your insurance plan is accepted at Lifespan hospitals. We participate in most major insurance plans.
Will your specific services be covered?
Once you confirm that your insurance is accepted, you should call your insurance company to make sure your specific services will be covered. It's important to know which charges your insurance company will pay and which ones will be your responsibility.
Examples of services you should confirm are covered by your plan:
- Routine physicals and examination
- Screening tests for age-related illness or for inherited disease when symptoms are not present
- Tests to rule out potential problems when no symptoms are present
- Experimental treatments or testing
- Cosmetic Surgery
- Inpatient services versus outpatient services
If you are having elective surgery, we may contact you in advance to arrange for payment prior to receiving services. For cases involving worker's compensation, you should talk to your employer to determine your financial responsibility.
Do you have a co-pay?
It is important that you understand your insurance company's policy as it relates to co-pays, deductibles and co-insurance. It is important that you be aware of any restrictions and/or regulations in your health insurance policy.
Does your insurance have requirements for coverage?
You should check with your insurance company prior to receiving services to see if they require any of the following:
- Prior approval before you can be referred to a specialist or admitted to the hospital
- Second surgical opinion before you can undergo surgery
- Notification within 24 hours if admitted to a hospital on an emergency basis
- Any other limitations or regulations requiring approval forms, etc.
If your insurance company has such regulations, please follow your insurer's instructions and obtain the necessary approvals.
We can help.
If you have any questions regarding your insurance coverage, please contact one of our financial counselors.
- Patients and Visitors
- Guidelines for Visitors and Families
- Protecting Our Healthcare Workers
- Safety Tips for Patients and Visitors
- General Discharge Information
- Lifespan Interpreter Services
- MyLifespan Health Record Sign Up
- Lifespan Telehealth
- Insurance, Billing and Financial Assistance
- Request Medical Records
- Ethics and Patient Rights
- Spiritual Care Department