Bariatric and Weight Loss Surgery in Rhode Island
Lifespan Weight Loss Services
Bariatric Weight Loss Surgery
- What Is Obesity?
- Is Bariatric Surgery Right for You?
- How Does Bariatric Surgery Work?
- Center for Bariatric Surgery Clinical Outcomes
- Obesity Medicine
- COVID-19 Safety
- Our Team of Experts
- The Journey
- Getting Started: Online Patient Orientation for Bariatric Surgery
- Patient Support
- Success Stories
- Awards and Recognitions
- In the News
Our Team of Bariatric Surgery Experts
Bariatric Physician Assistants
Bariatric Surgery Program Administration
Kellie Armstrong, MS, RN, CBN
Program Manager, Center for Bariatric SurgeryMore
Program Liaison, Center for Bariatric Surgery
Bariatric Registered Dietitians
Our Multidisciplinary Team of Bariatric Specialists
The Center for Bariatric Surgery is composed of a multidisciplinary team of bariatric specialists who provide personalized treatment, committing to years of follow-up care and supporting your effort to maintain a healthy weight, while meeting your nutritional needs.
The process you will follow involves several phases:
- Before surgery, our team of specialists, including a surgeon, nutritionist, radiologist, pulmonologist, cardiologist, psychiatrist and members of the nursing staff, will perform comprehensive medical exams and evaluations. You will also be asked to attend intensive educational classes and support group programs to learn what to expect during and after surgery.
- During the procedure, board-certified surgeons trained in advanced laparoscopic surgery and bariatric care will work closely with anesthesiologists and highly trained operating room staff who are familiar with the special needs of bariatric patients.
- After surgery, nurses trained in post-bariatric surgical care will work to prevent and manage possible complications. The surgeon, bariatric nurses, and nutritionist will follow you carefully throughout recovery.
- During and after your recovery, you must commit to making profound lifestyle changes. To help meet this challenge successfully and safely, you will be closely monitored for nutritional deficiencies and will receive free counseling to help you manage post-operative dietary requirements. You will continue to attend our free support group meetings.
In addition to the help you will receive from the bariatric team, you also have available the expertise of our weight management programs to provide additional, ongoing help.
The Miriam Hospital is known for our highly successful behavioral medicine weight programs, which have helped many people take control of their weight and health.