Public Reporting of Stroke Data

Mechanical Thrombectomy Procedures in Stroke Patients with a Large Vessel Occlusion

The following data reflect our progress as a provider between 2015 and 2018. Rhode Island Hospital is the first hospital in the state to be recognized as a Comprehensive Stroke Center by The Joint Commission. This distinction means that we are recognized as health care leaders and are responsible for setting the national agenda in highly specialized stroke care.  With our state-of-the-art facility and access to the latest treatment and technology, our numbers have grown positively since 2015.

Year

Number of Thrombectomies

2015

81

2016

165

2017

181

2018

253

Arrival to Groin Puncture: Rhode Island Hospital Cases

The table below shows the progression of time it took between a patient arriving at the hospital and beginning the groin puncture procedure. The average time it takes in 2018 to get to the operating room from checking in to the hospital is 78 minutes. In the top 25% of cases, it took 59 minutes, while in the other 75% it took approximately 92 minutes. The average wait time has decreased by 15 minutes since 2015.

Median

25th Percentile

75th Percentile

2015

93

73

123

2016

86

68

117

2017

74

49

105

2018

78

59

92.25

Arrival to Groin Puncture: Transfer Cases

The table below is similar to the previous table, but it indicates the time elapsed between the arrival of patients who came from other medical facilities outside of Rhode Island Hospital and the time of groin puncture. This is noticeably shorter because these patients arrive with their medical imaging and patient processing having already been completed at the previous facility.

Median

25th Percentile

75th Percentile

2015

25

19.5

37.5

2016

19

14

29

2017

26

19

72

2018

37

18

55.5

Groin Puncture to Recanalization

Recanalization is the process of restoring flow to the brain after a procedure such as this. This table measures the time from the procedure to the time it takes to assess the blood flow in the brain.

Median

25th Percentile

75th Percentile

2015

39

25

57.5

2016

23

15.5

38

2017

22

15

35

2018

21.5

15

31

Recanalization Rate

The Thrombolysis in Cerebral Infarction (TICI) scale measures how much blood there is in the brain once the occlusion is removed. The scale ranges from 0-3, with a score of 0 meaning no flow and a very weak outcome, and scores of 2b and higher meaning there is a strong outcome for a positive recovery. The Comprehensive Stroke Center’s numbers indicate that our strong outcomes have increased from 71.6% to 89.8% in the last four years.

TICI 2b & Higher

2015

71.60

2016

86.67

2017

82.87

2018

89.80