Newport Hospital has implemented changes to its visitation policy, consistent with recent guidance from the Rhode Island Department of Public Health. The policy changes now in effect include allowing more visitors and longer visits, and reopening hospital cafeterias to visitors.
All visitors are still required to wear a mask that covers the nose and mouth regardless of their vaccination status, per the U. S. Centers for Disease Control and Rhode Island Department of Health guidelines. All visitors will be given a hospital-approved mask to wear in place of, or in addition to, their own mask.
In order to keep patients, staff and visitors safe during the ongoing pandemic, the following policies are now in place for visitors and support persons at Newport Hospital (access may be limited in instances where social distancing guidelines cannot be met):
- General visitation: Up to two visitors may enter during designated visitation hours for general medical/surgical units, Vanderbilt Inpatient Rehab and ICU. One visitor at a time is permitted for patients on the Behavioral Health Unit. There is still no visitation for COVID positive patients, except under special circumstances and at end of life.
- End of Life Visitation: For all patients at end of life, up to four visitors at a time will be allowed. There is no time limit on the visit.
- Visitation of Labor and Delivery/Postpartum Patients: One birthing partner as well as a doula is permitted.
- Visitation in Diagnostic / Ambulatory and Outpatient Settings: One visitor/escort or support person is allowed to accompany a patient for outpatient/ambulatory appointments or procedures.
The following policies are in place for the Emergency Department:
- General: Two family members are permitted during the intake process if the visitor is instrumental for patient care. The visitor(s) can remain with the patient for a duration of 60 minutes.
- ED Pediatric Patients: Up to two parents/guardians/caregivers may stay with their child for the entire duration of the visit.
- End of Life: All patients - up to four (4) visitors will be allowed at a time.
The designated daily visitation hours for Newport Hospital are:
- Medical/Surgical and ICU: 1 to 3 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m.
- Vanderbilt Inpatient Unit: 2 to 4 p.m. and 6 to 8 p.m.
- Behavioral Health Unit: 1 to 2 p.m. and 6:30 to 8 p.m.
Cafeteria and Café 1873 will be open to visitors; visitors there will be required to wear a mask except while eating.