The Miriam Hospital Women's Association
You can make a difference! Give to The Miriam Hospital Women’s Association. Your contribution will help to support and strengthen The Miriam Community.
Members of The Miriam Hospital Women's Association celebrate more than 100 years of caring. More than 1,000 active members, including two- and three-generation families, have played a major role in founding and sustaining The Miriam Hospital.
By combining past ideals with modern ideas, we are able to achieve our goals and stimulate our future growth. Our purpose is to contribute time and energy to enhance the physical and mental well being of patients in The Miriam Hospital.
Barbara Horovitz Brown, president of The Miriam Hospital Women's Association, details The Miriam Hospital Women's Association's accomplishments in the past year. Brown addressed The Miriam community at the hospital's 2020 Virtual Annual Meeting.
The Jewish community of Providence in 1897 numbered approximately 1,200 families. The majority were very recent immigrants, Yiddish speaking, struggling to find a place in their new home.
To ease their transition to American life, they formed self-help organizations to augment the community structure already in existence. Among these organizations were women's groups dedicated to good works. In time each organization developed a particular purpose and niche in the community.
One group of women chose to make "Bikur Cholm," visiting the sick to offer comfort, the chief priority. From this dedication grew the dream of one day establishing a Jewish hospital, a place of healing that would be open to all people. These women were members of Miriam Lodge No. 13, order of B'rith Abraham, the founding mothers of the organization known today as The Miriam Hospital Women's Association.
How do we achieve our goals?
- The Miriam Hospital Gift Shop and Café, the major fund-raiser for the hospital, features an exceptional gift boutique and the excellent Ruth Markoff Coffee Shop.
- Our Annual Equipment Event proceeds are used to purchase new medical equipment for the hospital. Donate now »
- Proceeds from our Brick Program, Walkway to Health are contributed to the oncology department.
- The Lillian Zarum Oncology Patients' Fund enables us to reimburse prosthesis expenses for women and men undergoing chemotherapy for cancer.
- New medical textbooks for The Miriam 's medical library are purchased through the Harriet S. Samors Medical Library Fund.
- The Matilda Zwetchkenbaum Memorial Fund provides tender loving care and hospitality to family and friends waiting for surgery patients.
- The Lenore Leach Fund for Heart-Healthy Women provides educational materials to aid in the prevention and care of heart disease in women.
- Artwork for patients' rooms to give a feeling of comfort is purchased through the Estelle Klemer Healing Artworks Fund.
- Proceeds from the Patients' Special Service Fund are directed to patients' needs.
- The Oscar “Arnie” Leach Memorial Fund was established by Lenore Leach in 2008, in memory of her late husband, Oscar Leach. Donations from this fund will provide refreshments to family members waiting for patients in the Fain Health Center liaison area.
- The Robin Engle Pulmonary Fund was established by Robin Engle upon her receiving the 2015 Annual Recognition Award. Proceeds from this fund are donated to the pulmonary department for equipment and services that will assist patients during their treatment and rehabilitation at The Miriam Hospital.
- We sponsor Health Education Programs, informative mini seminars on current medical and social issues of interest to our members are presented to the public by physicians and staff at The Miriam Hospital.
Dedicating an engraved brick on The Miriam Hospital's Walkway to Health is a meaningful way to celebrate an anniversary, a special occasion, or to memorialize a special individual. When you purchase a brick, you are also supporting the hospital's mission to care for the community.
The Miriam is a non-profit organization; your contributions ensure that we can continue to provide the highest quality care, including the latest advances in cardiac and cancer treatment.
The enduring Walkway to Health extends from The Miriam's main floor toward The Norman and Rosalie Fain Health Centers and The Baxt Building.
Types of bricks offered:
- Standard 6" x 6" Brick : $55.00 (Each brick may have 4 lines of type with up to 12 characters per line)
- Side by side standard 6" x 6" Brick : $55.00 (Your inscription may extend vertically or horizontally on two or more bricks)
- Limited edition 12" x 12" : $500.00 (This brick may be custom-designed)
For more information, please call 401-793-2520 or email email@example.com.
Generously donated by Ruth Markoff, and operated by The Miriam's Women's Association, our new coffee shop is tirelessly managed by Sandy Simons and Sally Irons. The coffee shop offers a welcomed escape, offering a light breakfast, full lunch service, and afternoon snack.
- Ruth Markoff Coffee Shop Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m. to 4 p.m.
- Gift Shop Hours: Monday-Friday, 7 a.m.-8 p.m.; Saturday and Sunday, 12-7 p.m.
Simply More Delicious Cookbook
Simply More Delicious represents the best of Rhode Island's rich culinary heritage and its recipes incorporate many of our tiny state's most delicious assets-blueberries, farm fresh vegetables, fresh fish and chicken (our state bird, really).
Simply More Delicious carries on the tradition established more than 30 years ago by The Miriam Hospital's Women's Association when it published the original best-selling cookbook, Simply Delicious.
A delectable compilation of some 500 recipes, Simply More Delicious is a collection of new and treasured recipes, brought to you by Rhode Island's best-known restaurants, markets and caterers, local amateur chefs and members of The Women's Association.
Simply More Delicious is more than a collection of treasured and delicious recipes. It also tells the history of the Miriam Hospital Women's Association and how, over 80 years ago, a determined group of Rhode Island women raised enough money in four weeks to start a hospital. That support continues today as an organization 800 women (and some men) strong continues to support The Miriam Hospital through its volunteer services and continued fundraising efforts.
Taste the best we have to offer in a state where fabulous cuisine is an art form and a way of life. Call 401-793-2520 to order yours today.
For more information about The Miriam Hospital Women's Association, please call 401-793-2520 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.