Radiation Oncology Services
- Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation
- Align RT
- BrainLab Novalis Powered by TrueBeam STx Featuring RapidArc Technology
- CyberKnife Robotic Radiosurgery
- Gamma Knife Perfexion
- IMRT: Revolutionary Radiation Therapy
- TrueBeam Radiosurgery
- Radiation Therapy: Frequently Asked Questions
- Medical Physics
Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation
Accelerated Partial Breast Irradiation (APBI) is an alternative procedure to whole breast irradiation. David Wazer, MD is a recognized international authority on APBI, which involves the treatment of only a limited volume of tissue surrounding the lumpectomy cavity, the area of the breast that most often experiences cancer recurrence.
Because APBI focuses only on the part of the breast where the tumor was removed, it results in less radiation to the lung, heart, ribs, muscles and skin. The treated volume is relatively small and, accordingly, the dose per fraction delivered can be increased significantly, which decreases the overall treatment time to one week.